School is canceled. Travel plans have all been postponed. But summer break (or any time off) doesn’t have to be a downer.
If you find yourself at home with kids eager for a break from the monotony of corona life, we’ve got you covered.
Get your kids (and yourself!) psyched for fun summer travel at home.
While you may have to wait for the hotel pools and continental breakfasts, a home staycation gives you the freedom to hop all over the globe without dealing with jetlag or spending a dime!
It can be overwhelming to figure out how to plan a travel-based “vacation” experience from home, so we went ahead and reimagined 4 Summer-Break “destination” trips for you. Pick your favorite, or try them all for a fun-filled Summer Break at home.
With theme parks, beaches, warm weather, and shopping, Orlando has a lot to explore. Bring the DisneyWorld rides to your home with Epic. Here are some ways to explore Orlando from home:
- Take virtual tour of the top 10 roller coaster rides at DisneyWorld. See what ideas your kids come up with for making their own “roller coaster” experience at home.
- Explore our favorite Orlando-themed book to spark conversations about the history, top sights, local landmarks, celebrities from Orlando, and learn more about this fun city.
- Learn all about the man behind the world of Disney.
- Make some DoleWhip or other treats at home to bring the flavors of DisneyWorld to life.
- Lay out some blankets, popcorn, and snuggle in for some favorite Disney movies.
- Learn about Florida’s thriving alligator population and watch a movie, play a game, or read a book about gators!
New York City, NY
NYC has something for everyone. While we can’t replicate the constant hustle, the honking, and the city street smells (you aren’t missing much there!), we do have some fabulous ways for you to bring the big city into your living room.
- Experience some of the city’s top museums, parks, and landmarks with these virtual tours.
- Attend an incredible show (free admission) by tuning into a nightly opera stream from NY’s Metropolitan Opera.
- Read about the Empire State Building, Broadway shows, and all the reasons people around the world love New York City with NYC themed books on Epic.
- Introduce your kids to your favorite Broadway shows with a free trial of BroadwayHD or stream some over your Netflix!
- Visit all the top landmarks with this pre-planned virtual NYC trip.
- Have your kids perform their very own play (see our Epic Live! Video).
- No New York trip is complete without tired feet. Go outside, move your body, and get walking!
- Be sure to eat some of NYC best-known foods: bagels, pizza, soft pretzels.
Yellowstone National Park
Bears, bison, geysers, and beautiful landscapes- Yellowstone has it all! Take a look at ways to adventure in this amazing park from home.
- Check out mud volcanos, the painting pot, big geysers, and more through these virtual Yellowstone video tours.
- Plan an evening camp out at home! Dim the lights, pull out flashlights, tents, and sleeping bags. Snack on trail mix and spend time playing cards or other low-tech games. If you’re feeling extra brave, have a sleeping bag sleepover in the backyard or living room.
- Head outside before bed and spend an hour stargazing together. If you have some binoculars, you can point out Venus, the North Star, and other major astronomical sights.
- Watch a National Geographic movie about Yellowstone animals, sights, and landmarks.
- Explore Epic books to read about Yellowstone Park, a fun story about a bison, and all about volcanoes!
Plan a trip to paradise this week with a Hawaii-themed day at home.
- Lay out your beach towels, a stack of fun books for each kid, and some special cold drinks to make an at-home beach day.
- Jump on Epic and read about shaved ice, geckos, and exploring Hawaii.
- Wear sunglasses, beach hats, swimsuits, and flip flops at home.
- Break out the blender and serve up delicious, fruity smoothies.
- Blow up a beach ball and play a game of volleyball in your yard or across your couch.
- Head outside on a nature walk and see how many different flowers you can find!
- Chow down on some fresh fruit, macadamia nuts, poke bowls to taste the flavors of Hawaii!
We can’t wait to hear about your fun “vacations.” Share them with us on our social channels @Epic4Kids! Be sure to take some “summer vacation” photos. This year will certainly be one to remember.