One of the best ways to keep up the momentum toward hitting those reading goals is to get your students excited to read outside of class. As we get ready to kick off our Blast Off to Reading Challenge, we found some of our favorite ideas to inspire kids to pick up that book (or device) and enjoy more reading fun at home.
Share the list with your class!
1. Do you like things that swim? Dive into a book on ocean life.
2. Learn something unbelievable in the Weird But True series.
3. When it comes to a great book, sharing is caring! Take turns reading a book together with your family.
4. Time for crafter-school fun! Read a DIY book and build something cool.
5. Read a book and find at least 5 new words to look up in the dictionary.
6. Read a recipe and make something yummy!
7. Learn a cool new fact and share it with your family.
8. Do you love solving clues? Read an exciting mystery book.
9. Is there a fun, exciting, interesting place you’d like to visit? Read about it!
10. Is a dolphin a fish? No cheating! Read a book on dolphins to find out.
11. Start a new graphic novel series and challenge yourself to read every book!
12. Challenge yourself to read 20 pages after school!
13. Read a folk story from another country!
14. Why do the leaves change colors in the fall? Snuggle in and learn about the seasons.
15. How many funny books can you read in one sitting? Go!
16. Read 5 books with the word “Great” in the title.
17. Discover exciting new worlds with a sci-fi book!
18. What’s your favorite music to listen to? Read a book about your favorite musician!
19. What’s your favorite movie? Read a book that was made into a movie.
20. Love using your imagination? Pick an audiobook and draw the characters and story as you listen along!
Calling All Readernauts
From 11/4-11/10, we’re challenging classrooms across the nation to take part in an epic race to read as many books as they can to compete for prizes, free Epic! subscriptions and more.
This year, students and their families get one week of free unlimited Epic! home access during the challenge!
Learn more about the challenge and how you can participate!